People today are more selective about the websites they visit, as most are inundated with information daily. Websites must have updated content, but it must also be dynamic and accessible, and give all visitors the choice to experience them in multiple ways and on multiple devices. Text to speech (TTS) is an exciting technology that addresses these challenges in an easy and inexpensive way. With text-to-speech solutions, websites, mobile apps, digital books, e-learning tools and online documents can literally have their own voice. Detailed in ReadSpeaker’s latest eBook, you will find the 6 following reasons why text to speech is an essential technology to offer with your digital content:
- Extend the reach of your content – TTS gives access to your content to a greater population, such as those with literacy difficulties, learning disabilities, reduced vision and those learning a language. It also opens doors to anyone else looking for easier ways to access digital content.
- Accessibility is relevant – Did you know that 15-20 percent of the worldwide population has some form of language-based learning disability? Did you know that 14 percent of adults in the US are illiterate and many have only basic reading skills? Making your online content audible helps the online population to better understand the text. The text is read and highlighted simultaneously so that the reader may easily follow along.
- Populations are evolving – 244 million people are foreign born across the globe (an increase of 70 million since 2000). Language proficiency and schooling in the host country’s language is a very real problem for migrants and their families.
- A growing elderly population depends on technology – Between 2015 and 2030, the number of people aged 60 years or over will grow by 56 percent, from 901 million to 1.4 billion (Source: www.un.org). In the US alone, 59% of senior citizens use the Internet daily. Making digital content on the Internet accessible in multiple forms creates an easier user experience.
- More autonomy for the digital content owner – Many think that text to speech software is something to be downloaded manually. It can be, but there are web-based forms, or Software as a Service (SaaS). With a few simple lines of code, the audio is generated instantly, and with new of updated content, the spoken version is updated automatically.
- People are increasingly mobile and looking for convenience – In the US, a growing share of time spent on digital content is on mobile devices, and the demand for connected devices continues to rise on a worldwide scale. Text to speech can turn any digital content into a multimedia experience, and people can listen to a news or blog article, a PDF document, or an eBook on-the-go!
Meaningful technology such as text to speech can change lives, and making it easy and accessible for individuals, organizations, institutions and businesses is essential to this end.
Download the complete eBook, ‘Why You Need Text-to-Speech Technology’: