Text to speech makes the online world– and beyond – available to people with learning disabilities, visual impairments, and literacy challenges. Well-designed applications, web sites and services give all users equal access to information and functionality. One of tools that helps make this happen is text to speech (TTS). Deploy TTS applications that turn text-based content into audio and enable all your users to access information and communicate with others. Here are some examples of TTS applied to Accessibility:
- AAC Devices: Devices designed to give users with speech disabilities a way to communicate easily, using symbols or typed text that translate into ReadSpeaker’s natural-sounding text-to-speech. These devices can be fully customisable by their designers.
- Speech-enabled Websites: Make sure you give end users another way of accessing your text by speech-enabling your website. ReadSpeaker has been speech-enabling web sites for 19 years.
- Communication Devices: Many users with disabilities impacting the way they communicate rely on state-of-the-art assistive technology to express their ideas and communicate with those around them. Designed to provide easy access to an effective, pre-loaded communication system using pictures and phrases, these devices also enable users to customise their lexicon to convey their thoughts, emotions and requests in their day to day lives.
- DAISY Digital Talking Books: these devices give low vision and visually impaired users access to digital content, text books, magazines, novels, newspapers, etc. They also enable users to have a personalised experience, such as bookmarking text or choosing a faster or slower speech rate. Our highly accurate, natural-sounding text to speech voices are the perfect fit for avid readers DAISY readers.
- Computer Literacy Support Tools: Digital technology, digital media and devices are now so widespread and part of everyday life in modern society. While using technology is a no brainer for young generations, digital illiteracy rates are still high among the older populations. For these users, online services and devices are not intuitive. By adding text to speech public bodies and companies ensure they bridge the digital divide and cater to the needs of all their users.
Banking and Finance
Text to speech can transform the banking experience, by providing queue-free, multifunctional service points for customers who have difficulty reading screens. Easy to deploy for tailored, real-time information communicated clearly, in your customer’s own language. Here are some examples of TTS applied to the Banking and Finance Sectors:
- ATM: Leverage speech to provide tailored services such as withdrawing cash, checking deposits and account balances with step-by-step audio guidance at any speech-enabled ATM.
- Mobile Finance: Check your finances regardless of where you are. Services such as checking your balance or stocks, or even keeping track of your budget are even more user-friendly when they’re speech-enabled.
- Stock Market Notification: Effortlessly keep abreast of market news and how your investments are doing thanks to customised voice messaging.
- Phone Banking: When you need to check your balance or pay last minute bills but you’re on the move. Call 24×7, and instantly get the information you need through your customised automated banking system.
- Credit Collection: Collection agencies can personalise and schedule outbound call notifications ahead of time for debt collection reminders.
Broadcasting and Media Notifications
Text to speech allows you to reach the maximum audience when you broadcast critical information, or newsworthy content. Choose the most effective way to create and deliver content over the radio or on TV. Here are some examples of TTS applied to the Broadcasting sector:
- Radio Broadcasting: In an emergency, broadcast alerts and warnings quickly across the airwaves. From 24-hour weather forecasts to environmental and public safety hazards, announcements inform each citizen immediately and clearly, thanks to TTS.
- Set-top Box: Browse interactive program guides and hear descriptions of upcoming TV shows, movies, summaries, and more.
- Smart TV: Get more out of your smart TV. Enable screen reading capabilities and let your TV read everyday weather notifications, news reports, movie descriptions, and more, out loud.
- Traffic Alerts: Avoid traffic thanks to voice alerts that warn you about accidents or roadworks and provide alternative routes and ETAs.
- Weather Alerts: Always know whether you can leave your umbrella at home or not. Get up-to-date weather notifications for extreme weather conditions, such as tornadoes, blizzards, earthquakes and more.
With text to speech, you can save content and listen to it whenever your schedule allows it. Human-like text to voice also works on gaming consoles, apps, and entertainment websites. Here are some examples of TTS applied to the Entertainment sector:
- Gaming Consoles: Low vision gamers and gamers who prefer not to read have the option of sending and receiving messages using text-to-speech to interact with their friends and the gaming community at large.
- Game Content: Immerse gamers in lifelike, read aloud storytelling . Assist players with hints and tips provided as voice prompts.
- Mobile Gaming: Use TTS narration in mobile gaming to increase player focus and accessibility.
- Set-top Box: Listen to programme and TV show guides, movie reviews, summaries, etc.
- Smart TVs: For an enhanced smart TV user experience, let your TV read you your daily weather notifications, news reports, sports results, movie descriptions, and more, in an accurate, lifelike TTS voice.
- Talking Avatars: Tailored to fit individual needs, talking avatars can be anything from a virtual receptionist to a personal assistant to lonely or elderly users.
- Smart Toys: Kids love interaction and smart interactive toys can add extra levels of fun and education in multiple languages with expressive, lifelike voices. These new-generation toys can teach anything, from ABC and numbers, to a world of discovery.
Health is key, so it makes sense to take advantage of the technology that’s available to safeguard it. It’s also important for health care service providers to make healthcare accessible by deploying assistive technology. Monitor everyday health and make the most of healthcare when you need it, with a little help from Text to Speech, which offers numerous benefits for home and public healthcare. Here are some examples:
- Appointment Reminders: Medical clinics can personalize and schedule outbound call notifications to remind patients of upcoming appointments, so medical staff and facility time is optimised.
- Dial-in Pharmacy: Why visit the pharmacy for prescriptions when you can easily order over the phone. Enter all the necessary information through the automated system and pick your medication up at your convenience.
- Prescription Label Reading: This can be a real challenge for anyone with reading difficulties, not to mention the elderly and visually impaired. A talking label, sent straight to your device, makes it easy to know everything about your medication. Dosage info can also be tracked and shared with caregivers.
- Electronic Prescriptions: Speech-enabling prescriptions increases accuracy, avoids medication errors and enhances pharmacy efficiency.
- Health Monitors: Voice feedback from heart rate monitors, blood glucose meters and blood pressure monitors is an important, user-friendly step towards a healthier lifestyle approach.
- Medical Devices: In a life-saving AED device providing time-critical instructions to save a person having a heart attack or a step-by-step guide helping medical staff assemble state-of-the art surgical devices, accurate text-to-speech is the solution of choice to support the use of medical devices.
- Personal Assistant Apps: Stay on track in your commitment to a healthier lifestyle thanks to voice notifications that motivate you to exercise, stay hydrated, take a break from your computer, etc.
The connected home is rapidly becoming a reality, thanks to the success of smart products and devices that deliver state-of-the-art performance and adapt according to user needs. Here are some examples of products in which our Embedded Speech products are making a difference:
Voice-controlled Air conditioners, TVs, washing machines, refrigerators, ovens and rice cookers.
IoT & Connected Devices
Text to Speech has a key role to play in giving devices that are increasingly smart and interconnected the voice they need to communicate naturally with humans. Here are some examples, in which TTS has a key role to play as the machine-human interface:
- Smart Buildings: enabling owners and occupants to monitor and manage all building features that have an impact on operations, energy footprint and overall comfort.
- Digital Building Security: enabling facility managers and business owners to lock and unlock doors remotely, manage key codes to grant or restrict access to employees or guests.
- Portable health monitoring, electronic record keeping, pharmaceutical safeguards
- Inventory tracking, consumer behaviour analytics.
- Locks and remote sensors leveraging biometrics and facial recognition.
- Real-time analytics for supply chain and equipment, robotic machinery.
- Wearable health trackers and monitors, smart clocks, phones, household appliances, televisions equipped with a text to speech app; Passenger and utility vehicles.
Text to speech provides an easy way to convert learning and test-based content into a format that is both more effective for auditory learners and less costly to roll out. Here are some examples of TTS used to strengthen learning strategies:
- Induction Training: Introduce your company, team and work culture to your new hires. Provide them with a user-friendly way of learning through engaging videos, slideshows, demos, and tests.
- e-Learning: Take learning anywhere and enable 24×7 fruition with a connected device. Use text-to-speech to consolidate students’ knowledge of any subject – from science and maths to economics and languages.
- Educational Entertainment (Edutainment): Combining learning with entertainment makes it both fun and educational for children and adult learners alike. Edutainment can involve any learning field, with video games, TV shows, toys, and radio soaps designed to teach viewers about any topic.
- Language Learning: Practice makes perfect and adding our highly accurate Text to Speech voices to your language solutions is the best way to enable learners to develop fluency: they can test and consolidate skills at any time, without the pressures of the classroom. Moreover, learning styles and study materials can be customised according to each learner’s interests.
- Mobile Learning: Learning is more effective if it doesn’t only take place in the classroom. Activate your memory, take your language skills to a new level, understand how to pronounce foreign words while you’re on the road; all you need is your smartphone.
- Standardized Testing: All students with reading difficulties or low vision can access the audio versions of paper exams, in reading and quiz-based exams, midterms, finals, and standardized testing.
- Serious games: These new ways to train and educate involve a combination of entertainment and education. Learning programs, which look like games or multimedia content are designed to engage and students through fully interactive, bimodal learning, which is deemed the most effective of all.
- Simulation Training: In some professions, such as aviation and healthcare, simulation is mandatory. Specialised training simulation enables users to experience realistic situations in order to practice and test their skills before applying them in real life. Step-by-step audio instructions and feedback enables users verify their reactions and performance.
Navigation and Telematics
- GPS and Sat Nav Devices: We all rely on directions from a navigation device now and then. ReadSpeaker embedded TTS voices clearly and accurately pronounce directions so you can reach your destination confidently and smartly.
- Interactive Audio Kiosks: These devices help passengers and visitors get information on airports and train stations, purchase tickets for local public transport, or even entertainment. In security-risk areas, interactive panic buttons can often make a real difference.
- Mobile Applications: These apps track buses, trains or planes in real-time and send passengers voice notifications to ensure their travel experience is a positive one.
Public Announcement & Notification Systems
When you need to make an announcement in a public situation, such as a theatre, manufacturing plant, university campus or an entire neighbourhood, TTS alarm solutions are proven to be highly effective. Whether you are managing a large-scale emergency, or are making routine announcements, effortlessly manage messages on the fly and repeat them as required with ReadSpeaker TTS.
Here are some examples of TTS in PA Systems:
- Emergency Alert Systems: When faced with an emergency where every second counts, send out clear, multilingual information instantly with ReadSpeaker voices.
- Interactive Audio Kiosks: Located in high on-foot traffic locations, like museums, shopping malls, and tourist attractions, speech-enabled kiosks are an excellent, cost-efficient way for the public to access information, directions, landmark history, and more. Text-to-speech enables you to update information as often as you need to.
- PA Systems: Make announcements easy to manage on school campuses, at amusement parks and stadiums with ReadSpeaker. Record your messages beforehand or add them on the fly.
- ICS/SCADA Systems: Deploying TTS in ICS and SCADA systems enhances machine-human communication and enables personnel to receive voice messages notifying operators about alarms that have been activated.
- Weather Notification Systems: Receive critical weather warnings via your home devices or mobile before you leave the house.
Publishing & Media
In our busy world, we’re often on the go and convenience is key. Publishers are more successful if they provide products in both written and audio formats, giving readers more options, whether they’re in the gym, on the bus, etc. Here are some examples of text to voice in Publishing:
- Audio Books: Listen to your favourite novel, follow along in a user manual or simply convert a document into audio for convenience and easy access.
- Audio Enabled Websites: Make access to text more convenient accessibility for all users by speech enabling your website—from universities to government agencies.
- Mobile Applications: Go hands free—there’s an app for that. Listen to your text messages, social media feeds, eBooks, news articles, and more on your smartphone and tablet.
- News Articles: Stay up-to-date with current events by listening to breaking news articles on your smartphone or computer.
- Training Modules: Create engaging training modules with slides filled with rich media content, in an array of languages. Enable hover activation on certain slides and allow users to access audio clips when the graphic is triggered.
It’s no longer unusual to come across an interactive talking robot in a home, in healthcare, education or entertainment. They have come a long way since their ancestors, who specialised in industrial automation: they now interact directly with individuals, using human-like, verbal and non-verbal communication modalities. With our world class software, text to speech robots, humanoid robots and avatars interact with their humans so naturally that they are perceived as collaborators rather than things.
Interactive toys and robots become even more engaging with our solutions, are easily integrated and enable voice commands and lifelike TTS speech.
The best way to deliver the most engaging customer service is through natural-sounding Text to Speech output in a variety of languages. TTS provides faster, more personalised service, enabling enterprises to automate a high percentage of calls that don’t require a human customer service representatives. It’s also a more practical approach, as it costs less than hiring voice talent every time information changes. Here are some examples in which ReadSpeaker text to voice solutions delight customers from across the globe:
- Call Centres: Cut costs by servicing customers automatically or directing them a specific department if their request requires a customer service rep to solve their problem. Instantly and seamlessly blend dynamic content with static audio files and deploy custom voice prompts.
- IVR: Optimise your IVR systems management. Effortlessly handle call spikes and deliver the highest quality service to your customers.
- Outbound Call Notifications: Instantly generate outbound notifications whenever you need them, in an array of languages, scaled according to your needs.
Transportation & Travel Announcement Systems
ReadSpeaker text to speech voices deployed in any means of transportation provide passengers with all the essential information they need to safely reach their destination.
Keep passengers and commuters informed with real time voice announcements of current location and any information of interest, such as unexpected changes or delays to service or schedule, departures, arrivals, connections and more, on-board trains, planes, buses or at stops, stations, ports or airports.
The latest social media marketing trends have ushered in new techniques for boosting brand visibility and desirability through so-called viral campaigns that are easier to track and measure. Once they’ve come into contact with a viral marketing campaign, consumers tend to have a greater tendency to react to a brand. Adding the TTS channel to your campaign gives it extra resonance and can help turn user-generated content into powerful marketing tools that consumers will remember and talk about.